Book Outline & Menu of Notes
Key & Guide to Notes
- I. Symbolic Visions
Israel's Messianic Hope: Sure (ch. 1-6)
- Introduction and Message of Warning, 1:1-6
- Ten Visions, 1:7 - 6:15 -
- A Rider among the Myrtle Trees, and Horses behind Him (1:7-17)
- The gentile world is at ease while Israel is downtrodden.
- Four Horns (1:18-19)
- The four successive gentile empires.
- Four Smiths (1:20-21)
- Four successive powers break down the gentile empires.
- Man with Measuring Line (2:1-13)
- The restoration of Jerusalem is certain.
- Joshua and Satan (3:1-7)
- God's irrefutable purpose: to save and to cleanse His people.
- The LORD's Servant, the Branch (3:8-10)
- God's sole means: for cleansing and restoring His people.
- Lampstand and Two Olive Trees (4:1-14)
- God's Spirit illumines His sure Word via true witnesses.
- Flying Roll (5:1-4)
- God's Word condemns sinners without exception.
- Woman in the Ephah (5:5-11)
- Taking exception to God's Word, Wickedness, though long restrained, will have its reign.
- Four Chariots & the Crowned Priest (6:1-15)
- Taking vengeance on His enemies, God's wrath will be satisfied, and His King will be crowned.
- II. Historic Traditions
Israel's Religion: Misdirected (ch. 7,8)
- Question Concerning a Religious Ritual: Fasting (7:1-3)
- Answer in four messages, which are each introduced by: "the Word of the LORD came" (7:4- 8:23)
- Israel's ritual: empty, through disregard of God's Word (7:4-7)
- Israel's ruin: cut off, through disregard of God's Word (7:8-14)
- Israel's restoration (historic and future): sure, in fulfillment of God's Word (8:1-17)
- Israel's rejoicing (future): overflowing, through love of the Truth (the One revealed in His Word) (8:18-23)
- III. Prophetic Burdens (ch. 9-14)
- The Burden of the Shepherd for His wayward flock
Israel's Messiah: Redeeming, Rejected (ch. 9-11)
- The flock of God delivered (ch. 9)...
- from Alexander the Great (9:1-8)
- by Israel's meek & lowly King (9:9-11)
- from the Antichrist (9:12 - 10:1)
- The flock of God refreshed & strengthened (ch. 10)...
- emaciated by vain shepherds (10:2,3)
- visited by the true Shepherd (10:4-12)
- The flock of slaughter suffering (ch. 11)...
- judgment upon vain shepherds (11:1-6)
- rejection of the true Shepherd (11:7-14)
- tribulation under the idol shepherd (antichrist) (11:15-17)
- The Burden for Israel when they turn to their Shepherd
Israel's Messiah: Received, Reigning (ch. 12-14)
- Jerusalem's Defence (ch. 12:1-9)
- The nations trembling
- The LORD defending
- His people standing in His strength
- Israel's Cleansing (12:10-14 - 13:1-9)
- through Holy Spirit enabled recognition of a pierced Son, an opened fountain
- from idolatry & false prophecy
- by their Shepherd's wounds
- through refining flames
- Jerusalem's Deliverance (ch. 14)
- The LORD returns...
- ...receives true worship
Go to The Book opening page.